Highlights of the awards include the Shree Ratna award, Rama Kamal Sinha Memorial Medal, State Award for Best teacher, …Read More
Children admitted to ANBAGAM are tested by Psychologists and categorized into groups based on their mental development …Read More
The one year teacher training program started in 1990 has grown into a full-fledged Bachelor of Special Education Degree Course …Read More
Welcome to ANBAGAM
ANBAGAM, the Home of Love and Friendship, was founded in Madurai, INDIA, in1970 by Dr. Manuel A. Thangaraj and his wife, Mrs. Mary Thangaraj, with the help of concerned citizens, the Governments of India and Tamilnadu and International Relief Agencies. It was inspired by Suresh Bernard Thangaraj, their mentally retarded son (who was born with Downs’ Syndrome), and by the great need for such an institution in Madurai and surrounding areas. ANBAGAM is governed by an inter-faith Governing Council with representation from several communities.
ANBAGAM has been helping mentally retarded children through three streams:
- Educating them in the ANBAGAM Special School, from age 5 onwards, using appropriate teaching methods and curriculum.
Providing Hands-on workshops and vocational training in Dairy and Poultry farming, Printing Press, Carpentry, Sewing, Weaving, etc.
- Training teachers in Special Education in SBT College. The teachers get hands-on experience at ANBAGAM and once they graduate, go on to teach disabled children at other institutions.
- To serve the mentally handicapped children and promote their full development, irrespective of race, caste, creed and community
- To train these children in the practical activities of daily living and help them become useful citizens
- To provide a home for unwanted or destitute children who are mentally retarded
- To train personnel for services to disabled children with special needs